Our Lady of Good Counsel

Today, 26 April, the Order’s own calendar commemorates the Feast of Our Lady of Good Counsel. This devotion was granted by Pius VI on June 9, 1787 at the request of the Prior General, Brother Vincenzo Maria Salerno. Brother Giovanni Battista Orsenigo (1837-1904), a renowned dentist on Tiber Island, who arrived at the hospital exactly 150 years ago this year, was a tireless advocate of this Feast of Our Lady, and in 1871 he promoted the solemn celebration of the Feast Day. For the occasion, he displayed a painting, blessed by Pius IX at a private Audience, with which he was later photographed. During the Novena of Our Lady of Good Counsel, Brother Orsenigo would end the chanting of the Loreto Litanies with the invocation to Mater Boni Consilii, which was later officially incorporated into the Loreto Litanies as a result of his advocacy by the Decree “Ex quo Beatissima Virgo” of the Sacred Congregation of Rites promulgated by Leo XIII on April 22, 1903. 

 

Salva questo testoSegnala ad un amicoStampaTorna alla pagina precedenteTorna alla home page